ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Default New guy here

Hello I am new to the forum here and would really love if someone could provide me with some information about my new car! It would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a used 2009 Lancer Ralliart with 60,000 miles from a Mitsubishi Dealership. The car is really nice and fast which I love however I still currently learning about the ralliarts. The car only came with a 60 day or 3,000 mile warranty so I want to make sure the car is in good running condition.

The car has a Borla exhaust and AEM intake from whoever owned the car before. When I first drove the car I was shocked about the twin clutch sst transmission. It seems to shift very very firm and I want to make sure this is normal? Also when taking off in first gear in drive it goes into gear like a standard and sometimes it jerks into gear which I thought was the AWD but it does it even when you have 100% traction.

One more quick thing and I really appreciate any ones input. We drove the car home about 6 miles tonight after work and babied it home. When we arrived home we smelt what appears to be very sweet like antifreeze. Any ideas on this?

Thanks again so much!

-Mitch
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09ralliartmit View Post
Hello I am new to the forum here and would really love if someone could provide me with some information about my new car! It would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a used 2009 Lancer Ralliart with 60,000 miles from a Mitsubishi Dealership. The car is really nice and fast which I love however I still currently learning about the ralliarts. The car only came with a 60 day or 3,000 mile warranty so I want to make sure the car is in good running condition.

The car has a Borla exhaust and AEM intake from whoever owned the car before. When I first drove the car I was shocked about the twin clutch sst transmission. It seems to shift very very firm and I want to make sure this is normal? Also when taking off in first gear in drive it goes into gear like a standard and sometimes it jerks into gear which I thought was the AWD but it does it even when you have 100% traction.

One more quick thing and I really appreciate any ones input. We drove the car home about 6 miles tonight after work and babied it home. When we arrived home we smelt what appears to be very sweet like antifreeze. Any ideas on this?

Thanks again so much!

-Mitch
Welcome

Couple concerns I would have;

Was the tranny service done?
it is highly recommended to flush the tranny within 10K miles of purchase and then every 30K after. Yes, i know the manual says 60K. But when i changed my fluid at 30K my filter looked like shit! I can only imagine what a 60K filter would look like.

Is the car tuned?
it is recommended to tune the car with any intake mod. Some people will say no but I would for piece of mine. Also one the car is tuned, the benefits of the intake are close to none.

Lastly. i try to always drive the car in MANUAL SPORT MODE. There is more clutch pressure and less slip in SPORT mode. Less slip less heat less wear on the clutches.

This site is full of info! Search and ONLY ask questions after you have done extensive searching on this and multiple forums

zeRep
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Congrats on the RA and just to piggy back, please, please, please keep up with all of your services and changing them before the manual says so will save you money down the line. These car's run rich from the factory so getting a tune will work in your favor (Free gts basemap) or custom tune just to make sure the car runs its best an of course to get decent MPG. If you smell a sweet smell when the heat is on it could be coolant. But check the Heater coure pipes first, then feel the floor of the passanger side under the glove box if its wet and smells like coolant then you have a leak. All the guess work and be cut to a minimum if you get a coolant pressure check conducted. Prayfully this helps
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALM View Post
an of course to get decent MPG
THIS IS A LIE! HAHAHA

With more power comes a heavy foot.

zeRep
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM

Default thanks for the replies

Thanks so much for all of your help! I spoke with the dealership today and they did a transmission service and oil change and brand new brakes and rotors before they put it out for sale so that's great to hear! I am almost 100% that someone already had this car tuned. In a stock ralliart are the shifts of the transmission really really firm? Also if I put it in sport mode and 100% throttle it hits rev limiter before shifting which I thought was weird.... Also one quick question do the cars take off like a standard car like it rolls into first before you take off?

this help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of your help! I spoke with the dealership today and they did a transmission service and oil change and brand new brakes and rotors before they put it out for sale so that's great to hear! I am almost 100% that someone already had this car tuned. In a stock ralliart are the shifts of the transmission really really firm? Also if I put it in sport mode and 100% throttle it hits rev limiter before shifting which I thought was weird.... Also one quick question do the cars take off like a standard car like it rolls into first before you take off?

this help is greatly appreciated!!
Where u from, son? And where yo pics son? No pics = it did't happen...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM

Welcome. So firm shifts, Isn't that a good thing? The Sst can be jerky at low speeds, more noticeable when parking in shopping centres. This can be tuned to minimise the jerkiness. As to taking off.... The RA is like the snickers ad. It takes off like a granny and only to realise a second later it really needs to go. It's normal, just something to protect the Sst.

-GST basemap
-AMS boostpill
-Works Highflow Drop in air filter
-EVO X BPV
-UR UICP
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 AM

Default Thank u

That's great to hear that the transmission is normally like that because I have never really experienced a transmission like it. I was looking into a blow off valve for the car also? Any recommendations? Is it a good thing or bad thing? Will I lose power adding one?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
That's great to hear that the transmission is normally like that because I have never really experienced a transmission like it. I was looking into a blow off valve for the car also? Any recommendations? Is it a good thing or bad thing? Will I lose power adding one?

Thanks
Welcome!

The Evo X metal BOV is quite nice. I have had no issues with it and it will not impact performance.

It will also fair better under high boost than the factory plastic unit.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=172&page=1