ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Default SST Fluid Analysis

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/res...nd-maintenance

Anyone read this article before? they recommend changes at the 8000km mark. That is a little insane. What do you guys think?

And the metal particles getting through the filter..ewwww
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crak View Post
http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/res...nd-maintenance

Anyone read this article before? they recommend changes at the 8000km mark. That is a little insane. What do you guys think?

And the metal particles getting through the filter..ewwww
WTF! 5K miles?

z
e
R
e
p
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Control the heat & less thermo break down. Better fluid may help.
Every 5k miles isnt all that bad if you're tracking it 50 laps to get 5-7 microns.

Good insight. I have high power microscopes I can use. Maybe I will have some test of my own. :P
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post

Good insight. I have high power microscopes I can use. Maybe I will have some test of my own. :P
DO IT!

Curious to see what regular intervals show

You still on stock fluid? or FFL-2?

zeRep
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Stock Diaqueen SSTF-1
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Ok lets cover the basics. We know that like anything new and mechanical ie. engines and transmissions create the most metal particles within the first 5000 km/ 3000 miles. No surprise here. This also gives us more reason to stick with the oem paper filter as it will catch smaller particles as the metal re usable ones can't filter out smaller particles like the paper.

They also indicated the car was tracked and it had stock SST fluid in it. The key here is more frequent oil changes , but probably not to the extent they are indicating.
(we would suggest approx 5000km - 8000km if using the factory fluid)
I would think around 20,000 to 25,000 km might be a good compromise.

The key thing is to always replace the filter with new at each fluid change. Once that filter has reached its maximum number of particles then fluid is forced through bypass meaning next to no filtration as particles are pushed through transmission doing more damage which in turn creates more particles.

They also mentioned "going to a higher grade lubricant with greater film strength (ie. WR35TMX)." I think a number of us has already moved to FFL-2 which on paper seems to have a higher film strength and is good to a higher temp.

So while this is good information, it isn't necessarily any thing new to us. We all know in time we will all have to decide whether to keep are cars and spend the money upgrading clutch, seals, fluid etc. Or sell them off and move on to something different.

Last edited by Jackal; 07-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Ok lets cover the basics. We know that like anything new and mechanical ie. engines and transmissions create the most metal particles within the first 5000 km/ 3000 miles. No surprise here. This also gives us more reason to stick with the oem paper filter as it will catch smaller particles as the metal re usable ones can't filter out smaller particles like the paper.

They also indicated the car was tracked and it had stock SST fluid in it. The key here is more frequent oil changes , but probably not to the extent they are indicating.
(we would suggest approx 5000km - 8000km if using the factory fluid)
I would think around 20,000 to 25,000 km might be a good compromise.

The key thing is to always replace the filter with new at each fluid change. Once that filter has reached its maximum number of particles then fluid is forced through bypass meaning next to no filtration as particles are pushed through transmission doing more damage which in turn creates more particles.

They also mentioned "going to a higher grade lubricant with greater film strength (ie. WR35TMX)." I think a number of us has already moved to FFL-2 which on paper seems to have a higher film strength and is good to a higher temp.

So while this is good information, it isn't necessarily any thing new to us. We all know in time we will all have to decide whether to keep are cars and spend the money upgrading clutch, seals, fluid etc. Or sell them off and move on to something different.
So in another words you are sticking with FFL-2 fluid? I am assuming you dont have no problems using FFL-2. I dunno what to do now..either I buy SSTF-1 or say f it and go with FFL-2.
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Here is some food for thought. Some of the best fluid/ mechanical engineers in the world working for 2 big European brands like Volvo and Audi have 1 fluid to cover almost all of their models/ platforms that use a DSG transmission.

Yup I am going to think they know something. Like use a higher grade fluid with an engineered stronger fluid to coat parts for more protection and provide that protection to a higher temperature to avoid any warranty issues on vehicles that may cost in excess of $60,000. To save the company millions in warranty covered repairs and keep their brands protected. Not only that they only need to stock 1 fluid which makes inventory a breeze.

I changed my fluid at dealer at 30,000 km and did it myself at 50,000 km with filter change and I'm now at 60,000 km and car is running strong with no issues. I will be changing fluid and filter again at approx. 75,000 km. Some people might think this is excessive, I like to call it cheap insurance.

Last edited by Jackal; 07-25-2013 at 10:57 PM.