ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Stock Audio Questions

Hey everyone, I could only find one thread discussing this and it didnt really have any answers.

Does anyone know if the stock nav system is completely plug and play when it comes to installing it in place of the base system?
I am willing to do some splicing and all that but want to make sure that I can easily hook up the amp and nav unit and still use all the stock wheel controls and all that.

Also, the base radio is pretty awful. Has anyone upgraded it with decent speakers? Just curious if that helps significantly or the source is just beyond help. Id love to put in some mid range aftermarket speakers but only if the stock radio is capable of making them sound at least decent.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC87 View Post
Hey everyone, I could only find one thread discussing this and it didnt really have any answers.

Does anyone know if the stock nav system is completely plug and play when it comes to installing it in place of the base system?
I am willing to do some splicing and all that but want to make sure that I can easily hook up the amp and nav unit and still use all the stock wheel controls and all that.

Also, the base radio is pretty awful. Has anyone upgraded it with decent speakers? Just curious if that helps significantly or the source is just beyond help. Id love to put in some mid range aftermarket speakers but only if the stock radio is capable of making them sound at least decent.

Thanks!
The stock NAV is plug and play, but you need more than just the MMCS. This is my opinion only, but I think aftermarket is a much better/cheaper route. One issue that I always had with the stock unit is dropping BT sync, but I have never had my sony lose my phone a single time.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Depending on the year of the stock NAV you are looking at, it is NOT plug and play. The units are used to control vehicle diagnostics, climate control, lights, etc etc in the later models.

I agree with Drew though, aftermarket is the way to go, especially if you are worried about sounds quality. I have a Pioneer AVIC7000NEX and it is awesome.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM

I agree with the aftermarket option as well. However I dont want to lose any of the ease of use and steering wheel controls, and I dont want the new head unit to look out of place. I will look up some pics of aftermarket navs in these cars and try and find one that looks nice.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Go to an after market solution. Better and newer tech for a lot less.

It makes no sense to take a car with a base system and trying to upgrade to the Nav system. Not only do you need the head unit etc.. The big and expensive piece of the puzzle is big PITA wiring harness you need to change to in order to make everything work.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 PM

I agree with it from that standpoint, I would just like to retain my steering wheel controls and more importantly have it look OEM. Very hard to find one with matching fit and finish that doesnt look like it was designed by a 16 year old kid. I like how spartan the lancer is inside but a piano black head unit with as many light up buttons as possible isnt doing it any favors. I have seen a few decent looking ones online but not in stores so its hard to tell if the color matches.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:03 PM

I'd check Best Buy or your local audio install. They sell a wiring harness to include basic controls of your aftermarket to the steering wheel. If I recall, it isn't cheap.

I've actually installed my aftermarket radio in the glove box, and kept the nav in the dash. The aftermarket speakers will not provide too much of a bump in sound. And this afforded me the opportunity to run aftermarket amp to all speakers. Much easier than trying to run an aftermarket amp off the stock head unit.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbreece View Post
I'd check Best Buy or your local audio install. They sell a wiring harness to include basic controls of your aftermarket to the steering wheel. If I recall, it isn't cheap.

I've actually installed my aftermarket radio in the glove box, and kept the nav in the dash. The aftermarket speakers will not provide too much of a bump in sound. And this afforded me the opportunity to run aftermarket amp to all speakers. Much easier than trying to run an aftermarket amp off the stock head unit.
Thats a good idea. I have done that on quite a few chevys from the era when chevy decided to integrate all the diagnostic displays into the radio so if you changed head units without a really finicky and expensive interface, then you would get a check engine light.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 AM

For steering wheel controls purchase the Axxess ASWC-1
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 AM

As far as the speakers go, I was quite surprised with how good they sound when the radio is changed to a higher level unit. I'm currently running a Parrot Asteroid Smart unit with Axxess steering wheel adapter and base speakers. Audio quality is excellent, the steering wheel controls work perfectly and the Parrot can be used for voice commands for phone, music, radio, and apps.