ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Mike doing his dirty deed

Stock run on stock everything, i dont know if you can read 229/237 :P, I guess mine made some power already stock

Here the bumper needed to be removed for the install, it was pretty easy.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Mini fuse box relocated, the brackets come in the box, all parts are included

Tranny cooler was moved about 1.5 inches forward, again brackets were included in the box

Finish installing the CAI, its DYNO TIME

Dyno'd again
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM

As mike stated by just putting on the Intake, without a tune, increased the HP by 12 and Torque by 9

Mike does a great job at extracting all the power available, this was the highest numbers we saw that night
264HP 284 TQ!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the boost graph, peaked at 21-22 psi and tapering to 15-16 pounds at redline

The only problem was the tranny started to get warm and gave out at times, giving us a bad dyno run. Just let that guy cool down and mike did a couple of more pulls and we were good to go.

With this turbo Mike recommended that a downpipe is not necessary, maybe a testpipe or a high flow cat/rally cat. Here is a picture of the rally cat at the shop :P

The power potential with this CAI is pretty nice, Mike was really nice and even accommodated me for saturday even though the shop doesnt open on saturday. I would recommend this intake and recommend RRE to any skeptics out there. The car pulls and pulls and pulls like an out of control chariot :> , if only the brakes were a little better, I can say that this car feels almost as fast as my EVO 8. THUMBS UP TO MIKE and RRE!

Last edited by bmanuhutu; 08-24-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM

So... Installing the intake/tune nets more power/torque than intercooler/exhuast/tune setup on my car?

I would love to have the master share his thoughts on what makes the differences.

Also, would adding the intake to my existing setup with a re-tune make even more power than it currently has?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Not a for sure thing. His car started out 10 whp more than yours to begin with. The intake leans things out about .5 more on the AFR, then that was adjusted for in the tuning.

Time and testing on different cars will ultimately determine the best mod path. The data base of different cars with different combinations is still pretty small. I would also give his tranny a little more time at this power level to be sure the car is happy with the extra power.

Mike W
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the update on this. I'm working on an upgrade path for myself at this point too.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
Not a for sure thing. His car started out 10 whp more than yours to begin with. The intake leans things out about .5 more on the AFR, then that was adjusted for in the tuning.

Time and testing on different cars will ultimately determine the best mod path. The data base of different cars with different combinations is still pretty small. I would also give his tranny a little more time at this power level to be sure the car is happy with the extra power.

Mike W
havent had a problem with the tranny yet, crossing fingers. oh also, I just had an oil change done a couple of days before the tuning sesion, i dont know if that impacted my baseline numbers.

Last edited by bmanuhutu; 08-24-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondchance View Post
If this is the dyno you were dyno'd on then its hard to say. IF not, then the difference in dyno is the reason the numbers are different.

This dynochart has 2 very true truths to it.

1. did his car gain 38 whp and 40+ torque with the tune and intake? YES

2. His is car really 264 whp. Absolutely not.

The undeniable fact is this. The cars TRUE stock power is in the 185-195 whp range. thats a fact. Regardless of what a dyno might tell you, this number is not refutable.

That being fact and said, it immediately deletes 30 hp from the peak #'s hes showing, to compensate for the inflation he got dynoing stock on this particular dyno. ( please people its very common, try a dynojet, they are all over the map) This of course would bring him into the 230-235 whp range presently, which is a great gain on just an intake and tune.. So congrats on that. Surely there is nothing wrong is 38 whp being gained so quickly.

What needs to be remembered, and shared with new uneducated members is this.

regardless of what a dyno tells you, the thing and other thing to concern yourself with, is the gained power from point a to point b and so forth.

I credit mike for doing a great job, but i think as a community ( i came here from the evom ralliart community) as a whole, we need to stop thinking what could be, and start realizing what is. TTP has done nothing but inflate and lie to customers for months now, and its been covered up many times, trust me, ive been in numerous conversations with mods that go alot like ( yeah we know hes bs,but he pays us). I really dont want another company out there trying to do the same.( and im not saying you are)

So with that said, im hoping mike is alot more respective to the truth and is excited at the gains he achieved and not the numbers that dont add up to anything but heresay.
You make a good point by stating that dyno's will inheirently produce different numbers from machine to machine. But then your comment falls short because you discredit your own statement. Where do you come up with the "true" whp rating? What ever the "true" whp rating is, the fact remains that he started at point 'a' (226whp) and ended at point 'b' (264whp). I owned an 09 wrx and it was factory rated at 267 crank hp. When more testing was done, it was found to be closer to 280. Why? Manufacturers who have competing models commonly lie about ratings to make one car (usually the more expensive one) look like a better deal, thus justifying the cost. If people knew that the potential of the lesser model could be equal to the more expensive one, through a series of small upgrades, no one would buy the more expensive model.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschottr View Post
You make a good point by stating that dyno's will inheirently produce different numbers from machine to machine. But then your comment falls short because you discredit your own statement. Where do you come up with the "true" whp rating? What ever the "true" whp rating is, the fact remains that he started at point 'a' (226whp) and ended at point 'b' (264whp). I owned an 09 wrx and it was factory rated at 267 crank hp. When more testing was done, it was found to be closer to 280. Why? Manufacturers who have competing models commonly lie about ratings to make one car (usually the more expensive one) look like a better deal, thus justifying the cost. If people knew that the potential of the lesser model could be equal to the more expensive one, through a series of small upgrades, no one would buy the more expensive model.
I figured out why Secondchance is upset. He was dyno'd on the Canadia dyno which, given current exchange rates, is 8% less (226 x .08 = 208), thus his 208whp baseline. So there you go Secondchance, you really have the same horsepower, just corrected for your country ;-)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondchance View Post
cute.

also, his point A numbers would be 190 on a real dyno, not the 226 on this floatation device at rrm.

My main issue is with silly kids buying this car, getting an intake, and thinking it is 270 whp, when thats not possible fully bolted due to restrictions.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES
you need to educate yourself in a little thing called credibility, no one is listening to you because you have no proof of anything you say hence your lack of credibility

Most of us here in club RA have other mitsu's EVOs or DSMs and come here from socalevo.net, while you on the other hand troll around message boards and thread crap. you talk like the SRT-4 fanboys who have nothing to do but waste other people's time. IN FACT i wouldnt be surprised if you did have an SRT4. not that I have anything against the SRT4, just the dumbass owners who own them.

read the other thread regarding baseline numbers. you are just some no name internet troll with too much time. Please do us all a favor and keep thread crapping. You keep my day interesting.

Tags
dyno, injen, intake, rre, tune