ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General

Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Default So Ralliart will be mine in a month, here's the mod list as of now.

Okay guys, with the transition to my NA Eclipse 4g to a turbocharged lancer I have had to put a lot of time into studying how these cars work and what route to go with my modding efforts. Until the car is paid off I will not be putting crazy money into it, but once that loan is gone it's free game.

So far here is what I plan to do and what order I plan to do it. Let me know what you think, and I have a couple questions along the way.

First off I'm going to go ahead and get a gauge pillar with a boost gauge, oil pressure (debatable), and wideband o2. I like to know what I am working with for tuning purposes later on.

After I do this I will probably get a drop in filter for the time being and then my first major mod would be upgrade to EVO X FMIC, LICP, and UICP. Cheap mod but very effective.

I will then go ahead and get the EVO BOV, since I have heard numerous cases of the stock BOV leaking boost. And get a boost pill after that.

Next for me would be the exhaust. I plan on eventually going to the EVO turbo, after the car is paid off, so I know at one point I will need an EVO aftermarket downpipe for fitting issues. What I'm concerned about is if the EVO downpipe will fit with a ralliart exhaust, or if I would also have to upgrade to an EVO aftermarket exhaust. As of now however, I have been looking at a couple different exhausts for the Ralli, the UR catback and Borla catback. I have heard good things about the UR but not seen much about the borla. so if anyone can enlighten me please please do! Until I upgrade the turbo I probably won't upgrade the stock downpipe, it's minimal to no gains from my understanding.

Then comes a tune of course. Not sure who is reputable or not so suggestions would be fantastic. I will 9/10 times have to E-tune unless they are located in ohio/wv/virginia/kentucky area.

After all of this I will focus on getting some power to the wheels. I will probably immediately get the AMS pressed mounts, and the tanabe underbrace bar. I haven't found a stiffy for the ralliart yet, so if there is one that I'm somehow missing please let me know.

That is probably the majority of what will happen before the car is paid off. After I finish the loan I'll be looking into most of the following:
Evo X Turbo
RRE EVO downpipe
Injen CAI
Tune
Tein flex Coilovers
New wheels which are undecided
Brembo brakes
Halo headlights
Kelford EVO X Cams and Valve Springs (unsure if these are 100% compatible with Ralli, should be to all my knowledge)
Tune for more PSI (please let me know if there is anything significantly different between the evo and ralli that should be upgraded before boosting higher then stock evo PSI, such as rods, pistons, fuel pump, injectors etc.)

I'm not sure how much is different between the ralliart engine and evo engine as far as quality goes. I haven't had a remarkably long time to study but have picked up much more info than I had known about previously.

I have also looked into getting an oil catch can. I know it caught a lot of oil on my 4g GS Eclipse and my tb/manifold are much cleaner then they were before I installed.

Thanks for reading and any opinions guys!!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Just a short reply, I'll give my two cents later. But as far as a reputable tuner, make the drive to CBRD in York, PA. He's the only other person besides Bryan from GST Motorsports that knows the Ralliart and the proper SST tuning capabilities on the east coast. I'd say GST Motorsports in CA, SSP in Texas, and CBRD in PA are the best sources for proper Ralliart/SST tuning.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Just a short reply, I'll give my two cents later. But as far as a reputable tuner, make the drive to CBRD in York, PA. He's the only other person besides Bryan from GST Motorsports that knows the Ralliart and the proper SST tuning capabilities on the east coast. I'd say GST Motorsports in CA, SSP in Texas, and CBRD in PA are the best sources for proper Ralliart/SST tuning.
Thanks man. If I go the e-tune route is there anyone in particular who is the go to guy on this site? Like over at club4g have two: hackish (michael) or brianJ
Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Bryan@GST, hands down. His basemaps are fantastic. He even has one for a full turboback exhaust, which I am currently running. Plus, he optimizes the basemaps to get the most out of the transmission without dealing with the TCU, so the shifting is quicker and firmer. Best of all, it's free unless you want to send a donation his way. The only requirement for the full turboback flash is to have an aftermarket "boost pill", which replaces the OEM boost pill, or brass restrictor pill. Easy to swap and easy to flash, you do need a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable and a laptop, with Ecuflash and EvoScan installed.

Just an FYI, Sport mode is going to be better on the SST than Normal mode due to the fact that it doesn't have as much slip. I drive in Manual shift mode with Sport shift behavior. If only we had the Evo MR's S-Sport mode...

It's not a requirement, you can drive in Normal mode if you want, but in the long run you're going to have a lot more clutch wear because of the slip between shifts.

Last edited by BravoZero; 04-17-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Bryan@GST, hands down. His basemaps are fantastic. He even has one for a full turboback exhaust, which I am currently running. Plus, he optimizes the basemaps to get the most out of the transmission without dealing with the TCU, so the shifting is quicker and firmer. Best of all, it's free unless you want to send a donation his way. The only requirement for the full turboback flash is to have an aftermarket "boost pill", which replaces the OEM boost pill, or brass restrictor pill. Easy to swap and easy to flash, you do need a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable and a laptop, with Ecuflash and EvoScan installed.

Just an FYI, Sport mode is going to be better on the SST than Normal mode due to the fact that it doesn't have as much slip. I drive in Manual shift mode with Sport shift behavior. If only we had the Evo MR's S-Sport mode...

It's not a requirement, you can drive in Normal mode if you want, but in the long run you're going to have a lot more clutch wear because of the slip between shifts.
wow that's awesome. I can get a tactrix cable, is evoscan and ecuflash free or do I need to buy that somewhere?

Thanks for letting me know about the sport and normal mode. I figured sport mode would cause more wear. That's a great thing to know!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhun35 View Post
wow that's awesome. I can get a tactrix cable, is evoscan and ecuflash free or do I need to buy that somewhere?

Thanks for letting me know about the sport and normal mode. I figured sport mode would cause more wear. That's a great thing to know!
Ecuflash is free, EvoScan is only $25 and good for life for all updates.

Both modes may cause more wear on certain features than the other, but overall Sport is probably the safest since it reduces slip.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 AM

Cbrd FTW! And what that guy with the helmet said. And congrats! Loved my 1g, 3g and 4g!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane11RA View Post
Cbrd FTW! And what that guy with the helmet said. And congrats! Loved my 1g, 3g and 4g!
Thanks!! I love my eclipse so much, and having such a hard time letting it go, but I keep telling myself..."Ralliart, cause racecar" lmfao
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Ecuflash is free, EvoScan is only $25 and good for life for all updates.

Both modes may cause more wear on certain features than the other, but overall Sport is probably the safest since it reduces slip.
Wow not bad at all. Definitely worth the money!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Ralliart Engine = Evo X Engine, top to bottom, minus spark plugs, which are one heat range cooler in the Evo. So that should answer some of your questions in the original post.

As far as your mod list - looks great, and very similar to what I've started doing on mine. I had a EVO X intercooler on its way to me even before I went and picked up the car. Instead of going with Evo X Intercooler pipes, I spent just a little more and got Depo Racing intercooler pipes.

http://www.deporacing.us/APT-Products.html

I also got their High-flow Cat and Evo X long downpipe at the same time. He gave me an extra 7% discount (had to ask for it) for buying everything at once. The downpipe will obviously only fit once I put my Evo X turbo on (which I already have), but the HFC will probably go on this weekend. Intercooler pipes have been on for a few weeks now, along with a EVO X BOV.

I also installed a AMS Boost pill last weekend, and flashed in the GST base tune. It has REALLY made a difference. I had the stock boost pill flash in there before, and I noticed it, but not as much as the boost pill flash. That was a huge difference.

I'm going to keep my stock cat-back for a while. I like how quiet the car is currently, and Bryan from GST made some great power with his stock cat-back, so I'll probably be fine with it.

Next up is the Evo X turbo swap, when I collect all the parts needed. I'm about 95% there.