ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Hot Weather = Loss of HP?

I don't know if its just in my head or not, but in the mornings when its cooler outside the car seems to pull nice and hard. Then after work when its hot outside it seems like the car doesn't pull as hard... Is this due to the temperature?

Would upgrading the intercooler and piping help?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Read up about forced induction setups and you'll find that cooler air is more efficient. Cooler air is more dense, therefore it helps create more power.

The only thing that will help is to draw in more air, preferably cooler air if possible. A bigger intercooler and larger diameter piping would help. I noticed a big difference switching to the EvoX intercooler and piping. The problem with the RA intercooler is that its so small, gets heat soaked fairly quickly.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Read up about forced induction setups and you'll find that cooler air is more efficient. Cooler air is more dense, therefore it helps create more power.

The only thing that will help is to draw in more air, preferably cooler air if possible. A bigger intercooler and larger diameter piping would help. I noticed a big difference switching to the EvoX intercooler and piping. The problem with the RA intercooler is that its so small, gets heat soaked fairly quickly.
Thanks for the advice BravoZero! These will have to be my next upgrades, along with a new bov.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Yeah, theres a huge loss in power on nice hot days, youre gonna need the evo x setup or better to beat the heat.. Youll notice a pretty big diff between the smaller RA IC and the X IC, not as much between the X IC and a $500 aftermarket IC... So if youre not going big power? Just get the X stuff...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Actually, you need to read up on PHYSICS. I don't care if you have a 1000hp rated intercooler on your RalliArt, you will ALWAYS make more power when it is colder. Simple physics with colder, denser air producing more power. And no, it isn't just for our cars, or specifically for forced induction engines either. ANY combustion engine, no matter the kind, piston, rotary or turbine, will have the same results. Funny that this doesn't really affect cars other than the fun factor, but this is something that affects small aircraft greatly. A plane can take off from Denver fully loaded with no problem on a 1 mile runway at 40 degrees, land in phoenix to refuel at 100 degrees, and literally not be able to take back off with the same exact weight no matter the runway length because of the density altitude change and drop in horsepower. Can you tell I have been on waaay too many sketchy flights in small aircraft? End boring explanation....