ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Default SST Tune in relation to overheating

Hey everyone,
just curious if anyone here has any idea if getting an sst "tune" could play a huge role in getting the overheating message from the sst.

Long story short, I got a tune recently and an "sst tune" was recommended by the shop. Of course being terrified of ruining my transmission, I purchased it.
Since then my 1st gear is basically useless. A "launch" at around 1.5k causes it to shut down. Since then I have done a fluid change, fog light delete and added a fan to my stock cooler. It still does it, but other than that the transmission shifts fine and the car still runs 12.5's.

Do you think this could be caused by a poor SST tune? Sorry to drop this on you guys but the shop hardly gave me the time of day when I was asking questions about their services so I would like to go in informed as Im not hopeful about bringing up a possible complaint.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Who is the shop that did this "SST tune"?

Them not giving you the time of day when asking questions should have been your sign NOT go through them!

zeRep
Old 03-06-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeRep85 View Post
Who is the shop that did this "SST tune"?

Them not giving you the time of day when asking questions should have been your sign NOT go through them!

zeRep
Boostin performance.
Of course, I went with them based on many recommendations. Unfortunately by the time I had to deal with the customer service side of things they already had my car which was not drivable due to the upgrades needing to be tuned and I had to get to work. Honestly I'm not even sure it's anything they did, I'm very unfamiliar with these transmissions and was just curious if something as simple as tuning it cold or a small oversite could cause this. Engine runs phenomenally but first gear is just so touchy.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:51 PM

You said the issue is with a 2.5K launch? What do you mean "launch"?

Im assuming you have S-sport enabled now and told the tuner you want the launch set at 2.5K?

zEREp
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
You said the issue is with a 2.5K launch? What do you mean "launch"?

Im assuming you have S-sport enabled now and told the tuner you want the launch set at 2.5K?

zEREp
No s-sport. They said they didn't know how to do that. It's definitely something I want to look into getting when this issue is resolved.

I wish I could do 2.5k, when I say 1.5k launch I mean holding the brake (hard, soft, I have tried both) letting the rpms build (tried holding, and flooring the second it peaks) And then flooring the car. Basically any of the methods I have seen people do results in the overheating message. Even from a dead stop if I floor it quickly it often happens.

I know I'm giving up certain capability for convenience and shifting speed with this technology, but this seems ridiculous.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC87 View Post
No s-sport. They said they didn't know how to do that. It's definitely something I want to look into getting when this issue is resolved.

I wish I could do 2.5k, when I say 1.5k launch I mean holding the brake (hard, soft, I have tried both) letting the rpms build (tried holding, and flooring the second it peaks) And then flooring the car. Basically any of the methods I have seen people do results in the overheating message. Even from a dead stop if I floor it quickly it often happens.

I know I'm giving up certain capability for convenience and shifting speed with this technology, but this seems ridiculous.
It should NOT be like that.

They dont know how to do that? Really? hmmm kinda scary..

I would still give them one more chance to resolve this issue...especially if it happens with just flooring it quickly. Maybe have them do a VERY VERY conservative tune?

Is there other tuners around? Sucks, but if you need to pay another tuner to check out the tune..thats what i would do..

I never ever launched my RA and I never ever plan to launch my Evo.

zeRep
Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It should NOT be like that.

They dont know how to do that? Really?mm kinda scary..

I would still give them one more chance to resolve this issue...especially if it happens with just flooring it quickly. Maybe have them do a VERY VERY conservative tune?

Is there other tuners around? Sucks, but if you need to pay another tuner to check out the tune..thats what i would do..

I never ever launched my RA and I never ever plan to launch my Evo.

zeRep
Exactly, they said they have a guy that comes in sometimes with a mut3 to do stuff like that.

Oh yeah it's definitely going back, I just wanted some other people's opinion because from my experience most of the time shops try to blame your car or anything they can. I want to go in informed.

Yeah, it's not something I do often I just was trying to find the best way to take off in this car. Thank you for the help, if they don't do anything I'll definitely take it to AMS when I need a retune for a few other parts I need to put on
Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC87 View Post
Exactly, they said they have a guy that comes in sometimes with a mut3 to do stuff like that.

Oh yeah it's definitely going back, I just wanted some other people's opinion because from my experience most of the time shops try to blame your car or anything they can. I want to go in informed.

Yeah, it's not something I do often I just was trying to find the best way to take off in this car. Thank you for the help, if they don't do anything I'll definitely take it to AMS when I need a retune for a few other parts I need to put on
What mods do you have on your car?

zeRep
Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What mods do you have on your car?

zeRep
Arashi GTX turbo (td06), evo x header, widemouth downpipe, testpipe, 3" magnaflows, walbro 255, ID injectors (1000s I believe). I have no doubt that the setup could definitely overpower the stock SST, I just believe that it should have been tuned to compensate. I'm more than happy with the cars times even babying first, if I could only make it regularly usable and dial it down a bit it would be great. I will eventually get the SSP parts and have it rebuilt just not going to be in my budget until the end of summer.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 PM

I don't think that the tuning can cause overheating. Adding another cooler can help solve your problem.