ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Default Mods that wont void the hated warranty

Hey guys,
Like an idiot i spent the extra cash to get a warranty without thinking that I'd be spending the $ i get on modifications. My issue is that i want to make the car more powerful, but not break the warranty in the process. So what could i do to make my 2011 Ralliart a bat outta hell without voiding my warranty and making my bank account cry since I'm just a college student and already in debt from loans?

Thanks for the help! Best car owners in the world!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM

A lot will depend on the dealer servicing the car. That is what I was told. My dealers in the area SUCK! basically anything other that a Cat-back exhaust "thoeretically" would void my warrenty. Basically the service guy told me that if any modification caused any part of the vehicle to deteriorate faster it voids it. Now I know of some awesome dealers are out there that actually will install certian mods and still honor the warrenty.... Unfortuneatly for me none in my area.

What I have been doing is slowley aquring the mods I want then the day the warrenty expires they are all being put on that day

It sucks though having these awesome part just chillin waiting for another 2 years haha.. eventually I know myself and my patience will break and I will install them.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM

I'm also going to say talk to your dealer. If they're the ones who are going to be working on your car, then I say get their input. In my case, my dealer said keep your stock parts on hand and go back to stock if you need to bring it in for something specific--each place is going to differ though.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM

Its all about the dealer, I had one that wouldn't touch my RA because they say it was "modified to much". A different dealer didn't care about mods, but blamed every issue in had on them. I finally had it taken back to where I bought it because they know the car and know what mods I have done. (The only owner of it worked at that dealership).

So ask, they all will say different things.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Driver mod?

Wider rims & tires.

Get rid of the spare *optional: get fifth wheel with tires*

Get more tires for Driver mod training.

WOT = Bat out of hell.

Whiteline sway bars.

If you replace RA FMIC with Evo X FMIC it should keep its warranty intact. Since rules stipulates using factory parts is ok. Mitsubishi is a factory since it came from Mitsubishi its factory part.

& of course depends on your peoples' skill with dealership. Sometimes it is about who you know.

Last edited by MTZL; 07-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

The Evo X intercooler and BPV will void your warranty. Found that out today from a dealership that is going out of their way to help me, and they are not using it as an excuse for anything. They just wanted to let me know that my car is not under warranty because of those parts. They even had a warranty rep check the car out.

BUT, they are saying they will replace my AWD pump (they are still doing tests) even though its out of warranty.
I missed the warranty by 4k miles due to traveling/deployments for the military so they wanted to help me out since it failed prior to that.
Two other dealerships looked at my car and wouldn't touch it due "mods".

So like we have said, its all about the dealership or who you know.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but as everyone else has said, it's all up to your dealer. Just straight up ask them. That's what I do. Mine is pretty cool and very honest, but he still said that basically the only things I could do that wouldn't void my warranty were cat-back exhaust, drop-in air filter, and new wheels. So naturally, I have done all of those. I'm itching to get a boost pill and flash the GST basemap, but I'm holding out because our transmission is so expensive if it fails out of warranty.

Just to be safe, I even asked if throwing on coilovers when my suspension warranty is up would mess with my drivetrain warranty. I'm glad I did because he said it could and that I could call him before I plan to do it, and he'll contact corporate to inquire about it. It's pretty crappy if they say it does. I'll admit that I'm pretty nooby, but I don't see how putting coilovers on the car could hurt the transmission that much. I've heard it can cause more strain on the transmission, but I'm not sure how true that is, or if it's just a dealer excuse.

The scary thing was that he said they are constantly changing their policies. At least I have done so little and still have my old parts, so that if need be, I can throw them back on.

Last edited by Napius; 07-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM

The simple answer here is either keep your stock parts and make it where you can switch back quickly, OR!

Don't mod the car and enjoy it in it's stock form.

Those are the ways to keep that precious warranty. It's been said many times before and I'll say it again:

You gotta pay to play.
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM

I am a huge Jeep guy and I will say what has been told over and over to me about modifying cars under warranty....If the modification could have caused the issue, they do not have to honor the warranty. If the modification has no interaction with what failed, they are required to fix it. Apparently, you can get the attorney general or better business bureau (or something) involved. The dealership my brother-in-law works at (Jeep dealership) has had this issue before and has had to repair the heavily modified jeeps. Now, that being said, adding more horsepower and having a trans break could be construed as one affecting the other. As long as it makes sense as to how it could affect the broken part, it will fly.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Mitsubishi has some shady ass Warranty Lawyers. Obviously by changing the springs on your car and your engine blows, it'll be covered. However, I have heard of adding power to these engines being a cause for a voided SST warranty. As long as the failed part and the modification can be linked somehow then most likely count on it being void unless your dealership is awesome.
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade

Tags
mods, power, tuning