ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Suspension, Wheels, Tires and
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Needing new tires for the Black Beast

So my stock tires are running out quickly. Yeah! Looking forward to getting some better rubber under my feet. I have a couple questions regarding the next step - tire selection.

I'm looking for a tire comparable to stock that not only lasts longer but sticks to the road better. I'm also looking for a low price on the tire. I've heard that the Nitto NT05, Falken Azenis and Yokohama Advans (amongst others) are great, but I have only experienced the last 2 I mentioned. What would be the top three recommendations (not necessarily the ones I mentioned) for this based on affordability, handling and price?

Can I fit a wider tire than stock on my stock wheels? Say a 235 instead of 215? What is the maximum width I can run?

I hope somebody can give some guidance on this!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I do know softer tires will offer more grip but with more grip will reduce life of the tires and reduce mileage.

Softer tires = more Grip = Shorter Tire Life = Less mpg
Harder tires = less grip = longer life = more mpg

I have no experience with Size of tires and compatibilities. Maybe someone else here can recommend width and size and Brand of tires

Try rotating your tires every oil change will prolong the life of your tires.
I get mine rotated every oil change.

9,000 miles and counting...

BFGoodrich for overall performance, idk they seems to be pushing their products well and marketing with WORKS. WORKS got that RA with BFGoodrich tires on it. Must be pretty good. IDK. Anybody else for BFGoodrich?

Last edited by MTZL; 10-01-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Car and driver did an article in the Aug 09 issue on the "best budget tires" Heres a summary of the top 3
#3 Kuhmo Ecsta XS - Great dry traction, one of the best they tried but as they say "nothing short of diabolical" in the rain
#2 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - Well above average dry and wet performance and quietest ride."In the wet, the V12s were as sporty and connected as they come and the best braking"
#1 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - They said "rewarding to drive hard", they have huge dry grip even before they warm up and were surprisingly good in the wet despite being a 'touch peaky". Only flaws they say are above average road noise and slighly rougher ride.

Personally, I'd go with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/45R18, they are $120 cheaper on a set of 4 compared to the other 2 above. They are the best mix between dry, wet performance, road noise and ride quality. My wife has got 8 years(puts winters on for 3 months every year) out of her Ventus HRII on her Si and stills has another season left and loves the way the handle and the ride quality, so I assume these would hopefully be as nice as those Hankooks. These are the tries I'm getting when I get my new rims.

Here is the full article http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by brads09lancerRA; 10-01-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Brad for the info ^ very helpful.
I would go with Dunlop might as well put the best for my RA.
When my stock yoko tires are done, Dunlop will be my next tires hopefully by that time it'll be cheaper.

Any other opinions and info?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Try rotating your tires every oil change will prolong the life of your tires.
I get mine rotated every oil change.

9,000 miles and counting...

BFGoodrich for overall performance, idk they seems to be pushing their products well and marketing with WORKS. WORKS got that RA with BFGoodrich tires on it. Must be pretty good. IDK. Anybody else for BFGoodrich?
Yeah, I kinda burned through my front right. Busy with moving it slipped my mind to rotate when changing the oil... I'll check out the WORKS project car to see what they are running.

I'm almost at 8k, I'm guessing I'll get to about 10-12k before having to get new tires put on. I personally can't justify super sticky tires as the majority of miles I put on are for work and it would be a terrible waste of good tire. For the really good tires I would rather have a second set of wheels for the track with nice tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brads09lancerRA View Post
Simply wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing that article - its exactly what I was looking for. Looks like Hankook might be in the running now.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Blackbeast, you can run up to a 225/45R18 on the stock rims. There are a lot of good choices, but as some have already said: The stickier the tire, the shorter the tread life.

One tire you might want to consider is the Advan AD07. Since you're in SoCal, you don't have to worry about true winter-like conditions, so the AD07 could be a good year-around tire. Hankook basically stole the tread pattern for their RS2s, which I have driven, and the RS2s handle VERY well in the rain. I have to imagine the AD07s do as well. Plus, if you shop around, you might be able to find them for about $150 a tire. Tirerack has them for $139 on closeout right now: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Thanks Brad for the info ^ very helpful.
I would go with Dunlop might as well put the best for my RA.
When my stock yoko tires are done, Dunlop will be my next tires hopefully by that time it'll be cheaper.

Any other opinions and info?
The RA comes stock with Yokos? My RA here in Canada came stock with Dunlops.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

^WTF? Dunlop? Yes, my RA came with Yoko.

Canada RA came with Dunlop tires?
Canada RA has sun roof too.

I asked about sun roof @ Concord Mitsu dealership & they told me sun roof is heavy and they cant install it for RA. Not an option for RA.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Yup, mine has a sunroof too.

Are the Dunlops considered better than the Yoko, or just different?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

If your Dunlop is Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - yes performance wise