ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
You mean your timing chain failed right?

Sorry yeah - thats the second time ive done that today
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice1874193 View Post
Sorry yeah - thats the second time ive done that today
It's all good
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM

If you go ahead with this class action law suit let me know. I have an 08 evolution gsr and it has been a nightmare for the past 6 months. The timing chain streched and damaged the head. After everything was fixed and replaced it is still trhowing the timing chain strech codes. I've had it and selling the car.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 AM

When the chain was replaced, did they reset the stretch value in the ECU?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Probably not, we're talking about technicians that doesnt follow SOP (Standard operation procedure)
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwralliart77 View Post
This is to make everyone aware of the issues with the timing chains on the new Mitsubishi Lancer models. As you might be aware I had an issue with my timing chain stretching which resulted in internal engine damage and eventual replacement of my engine. I've been doing tons of research on the whole timing chain issue on the newer lancer models. There have been issues on all models including the Evolution, Ralliart, and GTS. It is a noted manufacturer defect, but Mitsubishi has no fix for it as of yet. Mitsubishi has been fixing it under warranty, but those with modifications have been denied warranty. Warranty has also been frequently denied on Evolutions and Ralliarts due to the claim that owners are constantly driving at high rpms, are waiting too long between oil changes, or due to their modifications.

It has been noted that mods/ecu flashes have no affect on the load put on the timing chain so that should be ruled out as a cause for timing chain stretch. It seems the issue is with the timing chain being improperly lubricated which results in the chain getting dirty too quickly which leads to premature wear and stretching of the chain. When timing chain stretch is sensed the ECM should illuminate a warning light, but in many cases the light won't illuminate or is ignored resulting in engine damage. If timing chain stretch is indicated it's pretty much a 50/50 chance whether or not the engine is damaged. If the engine isn't damaged then Mitsubishi will likely fix it under warranty. If the engine happens to be damaged then your denied warranty and are pretty much on your own.

The timing chain is an internal engine part and should legally be covered under warranty since no modification was made to that particular part or the engine itself for that matter in my particular case as well as the cases I've been looking at. There have been at least 100 other cases besides mine resulting in stretching of the timing chain. It is a manufacturer defect and needs to be addressed. I'd like to set up a Class Action Lawsuit against Mitsubishi regarding the timing chain issue. If possible I'd like to gain the assistance of the Toyota Lawyers that sued Toyota over the accelerator pedals. I'd also like to ask the assistance of you guys on all the forums to help set up a petition form. Maybe MTZL can help out with the petitions and Mike W-RRE and Bryan-GST can help out by sharing their knowledge regarding modifications and tuning having an affect on the timing chain. Thanks guys!
Im for the petition, Mitsubishi needs to be held accountable for their products.
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM

4:20 kid never did a full service and rarely changed his oil in 80k miles. Timing chain stretched enough to jump quite a bit. It bent the intake valves, when the piston came up it smashed the valve stems into the guides to where they broke off. One of the valves got bent into a perfect little taco. It was able to get knocked back into the intake manifold for an out of the park home run.

Redesigned timing chain with less links to rub against eachother (that still will stretch prematurely if you dont change the oil enough):

How much stretch it takes to make everything crash:

Head damage:

But dad got him this to make it all better:

Mike W
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Damn...it don't take a lot to strech a chain...
Thank god I have OCD in regards to oil changes...
And I wish I have a rich old man...lol

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

80k (80,000) miles without proper maintenance is a lot in my book.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
4:20 kid never did a full service and rarely changed his oil in 80k miles. Timing chain stretched enough to jump quite a bit. It bent the intake valves, when the piston came up it smashed the valve stems into the guides to where they broke off. One of the valves got bent into a perfect little taco. It was able to get knocked back into the intake manifold for an out of the park home run.

Redesigned timing chain with less links to rub against eachother (that still will stretch prematurely if you dont change the oil enough):

How much stretch it takes to make everything crash:

Head damage:

But dad got him this to make it all better:

Mike W
wow thats gotta really suck regardless of how many miles I put on my RA once I nice that the fluids are getting dirty thats a note to self that a fluid change is needed (in example Oil, awc fluid, brake, coolant and power steering).
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member