ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Default First Time Upgrading and need advice.

I been thinking of upgrading my RA, heard about the plastic pieces up front which isn't too nice to know.

Probably best to some set or so for increase in power and cooling. I been reading about the sst and apparently you can only go so much because the trans won't be able to handle some crazy amount of hp. Correct me if im wrong, it was about 350ish hp?

I am not going crazy and haven't done and car upgrades so this is the first time with my new RA

Would say maybe 1.5k-2k to spend here, less is always nicer but maybe get something small for couple hundred then work my way up. I was thinking of a new inter cooler setup and how do you know when you need a tune up?

I plan on getting new rims and tires for the winter as well, I believe the OEM is 18/7.5 and 215/45 R18. Would I be able to get rims of 18/8 to fit? Would like to get some info on the air pressure chips as well, do I have to replace them every time I change my tires?

So it hailed the other day and my hood has 3 dents, not really noticeable but has anyone ever went in for a dent repair and how much did that cost? It's either that or I was planning to grab a carbon fiber hood to replace it which are suppose to be much more stronger.

First car that I am doing anything with and I guess it should be idiot proof
Some guides would be great and especially videos. I been browsing in the club and found some pretty nice guides and saved those pages.

Forgot to ask, if I do any upgrading does that void the warranty of the car?

Anything helps guys, Thanks. (Hopefully I posted the thread in the right place)

Last edited by PuPPeaZ; 06-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuPPeaZ View Post
I been thinking of upgrading my RA, heard about the plastic pieces up front which isn't too nice to know.

Probably best to some set or so for increase in power and cooling. I been reading about the sst and apparently you can only go so much because the trans won't be able to handle some crazy amount of hp. Correct me if im wrong, it was about 350ish hp?

Between 330-350 wtq on stock clutches.

I am not going crazy and haven't done and car upgrades so this is the first time with my new RA

Would say maybe 1.5k-2k to spend here, less is always nicer but maybe get something small for couple hundred then work my way up. I was thinking of a new inter cooler setup and how do you know when you need a tune up?

OEM X intercooler setups can be had for cheap. I bought mine for $200 in great condition. Tune up? You mean maintenance and not a "tune" for parts right? Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual for info on what needs to be checked/replaced and when.

I plan on getting new rims and tires for the winter as well, I believe the OEM is 18/7.5 and 215/45 R18. Would I be able to get rims of 18/8 to fit? Would like to get some info on the air pressure chips as well, do I have to replace them every time I change my tires?

You can get 18x9.5's to fit with modification, but 18x8's are no problem with a 235/40-18 tire. If you're looking for performance, pick up a set of GSR 18x8.5 wheels and get a nice set of 245/40-18 tires. You're referring to the TMPS (tire pressure monitoring system), and those are a per wheel basis. So if you get new wheels, you'll need to transfer the old TMPS sensors or get new ones.

So it hailed the other day and my hood has 3 dents, not really noticeable but has anyone ever went in for a dent repair and how much did that cost? It's either that or I was planning to grab a carbon fiber hood to replace it which are suppose to be much more stronger.

The factory aluminum hoods are light enough and should be durable. But with a CF hood, you sometimes run into fitment issues. Best bet is to have the hood repaired or get another OEM Ralliart/X hood.

First car that I am doing anything with and I guess it should be idiot proof
Some guides would be great and especially videos. I been browsing in the club and found some pretty nice guides and saved those pages.

Search here, EvolutionM and EvoXForums for info on modding and what to do and what not to do.

Forgot to ask, if I do any upgrading does that void the warranty of the car?

Yes and no. If you have a full turboback exhaust with a custom tune and your SST dies, then good luck trying to talk them out of not covering it under warranty. However, your turboback/tune shouldn't void your suspension warranty if your shock blows out. Look up the Magnussion-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, they can't deny your warranty claim for a particular component just because you have aftermarket stuff on the car. It has to be proven that the aftermarket part(s) caused the component in question to fail.

Anything helps guys, Thanks. (Hopefully I posted the thread in the right place)
Answers in red. Also moved to Ralliart General. You were in the older Ralliart section.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM

didn't someone write a sticky of intro to modding an RA?

edit: screw it, here's the link:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-rall...g-your-ra.html
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post

Lol. Yes, that's actually what I was referring to when I said EvolutionM. I forgot you put it up here as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post

Answers in red. Also moved to Ralliart General. You were in the older Ralliart section.
I meant Tuned, because I believe the vehicle has to be tuned to match up to the new speed.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post

Yep I read that, just want info on good parts I have no idea on good brands. Or should I stick to everything in this guide?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Thanks BravoZero, I like the way you answered my questions haha. Sounds good and I will check up on all those. You think going to the dealership for all the tuning and adjustments make sense since they actually deal with mitsubishi's most of the time.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Not necessarily. The dealership is there for car sales and maintenance/warranty. Only a very select few even offer aftermarket parts. But none of them tune and tweak cars as far as I know. Besides, they don't know what the hell they're doing most times, I'd much rather take my car to a reputable tuner and let them work their magic.

As far as the guide Exyia posted, you're free to use any brand you want. I'd do some research to see what's good, what's not so good, and what's affordable.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Not necessarily. The dealership is there for car sales and maintenance/warranty. Only a very select few even offer aftermarket parts. But none of them tune and tweak cars as far as I know. Besides, they don't know what the hell they're doing most times, I'd much rather take my car to a reputable tuner and let them work their magic.

As far as the guide Exyia posted, you're free to use any brand you want. I'd do some research to see what's good, what's not so good, and what's affordable.
Alright, I will have to search up some places around me then, I somehow hate shops because it seems every time you bring a car in it always has more problems.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuPPeaZ View Post
Yep I read that, just want info on good parts I have no idea on good brands. Or should I stick to everything in this guide?
the guide is meant to educate yourself on the true purpose of every mod, so that you can make an educated decision on what part/brand is best. it's meant to cut down on general threads like this and bring up more specific discussion on part A vs part B