ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Changing careers?

So, today has been especially hard to stay focused and motivated at work. I work for a software reseller that works with Architects, Engineers and Designers around SoCal. I do training, tech support, etc. and its been a little slow lately giving me more time to think about what I would rather be doing. Normally when I'm busy I don't have this luxury and I'm just fine.

Anyways, I've been day-dreaming that I could switch careers and do something automotive related while at the same time earning the same or more than I currently take home. Of course I would instantly know everything I would need to know. So, any ideas on what I can do?

I keep coming up with dead ends. If I open a shop, there are too many big guns I'd be battling against like RRE and I'd rather not go there. I don't want to have to deal with normal cars - which is where the majority of business would be. If I go to work for a shop, there is no guarantee of continued employment due to the crummy economy. I hate sales. I just want to show up and make money and play with cars.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sometime the grass is greener on the other side.
On a contrary,
At least you got a job in this "crummy economy" is like that everywhere.

I've been working since 16yrs old. Im 28 now & it take a toll on your mind and body. If you're not having any fun or tryin to stay young, it take in a toll on your personality/soul. I've been working for less money now but hey its life. I make the same money now I used to make when I was 20. I got to do what I got to do still.

I wish I make more money to a point I dont have to worry about financial problems too. The only problem is nothing is stable in this economy.
Working for somebody else will always be the same deadend job, unless you work closely for someone very important or very rich.
If you start your own business you have a huge responsiblity and the gov. will tax you broke.

Good luck, just remember dont leap before you look. and sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side.

Last edited by MTZL; 11-04-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Mo' money, mo' problems.

Seriously, though... I am in a similar boat. The difference is, I love the work I do... Well, this is the part that saddens me: I love the work that I COULD be doing without changing my job, my title, or even my employer. My employer is a bit misguided, so "should" is probably more appropriate than "could."

I would recommend reading some of Tim Ferriss' stuff. I've been planning on reading his book, The 4-Hour Workweek, but I haven't had the time. LOL Either way, he defines work as something you want to be doing less of.

If you can find something that will pay the bills and make you happy, I say go for it. But don't just jump ship unless you have something to jump onto.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks for sounding out what I was thinking. I might have to look into that book you recommended.

...and yes, usually the grass is not greener on the other side.

A number of years ago, we had a manager call everyone into the break room for a quick meeting. He announced to everyone that he was quitting and that yes the grass is greener on the other side and proceeded to sprinkle some sprouts of grass on the floor he had grabbed a moment ago from outside, then walked out. That was the best way I've ever seen anybody quit. It totally pissed off the dept manager (a different mgr) too cause he had been lecturing us for the past couple weeks that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Anyways, I saw the guy that quit recently - looking for work...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBeast View Post
Thanks for sounding out what I was thinking. I might have to look into that book you recommended.

...and yes, usually the grass is not greener on the other side.

A number of years ago, we had a manager call everyone into the break room for a quick meeting. He announced to everyone that he was quitting and that yes the grass is greener on the other side and proceeded to sprinkle some sprouts of grass on the floor he had grabbed a moment ago from outside, then walked out. That was the best way I've ever seen anybody quit. It totally pissed off the dept manager (a different mgr) too cause he had been lecturing us for the past couple weeks that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Anyways, I saw the guy that quit recently - looking for work...
Opportunities will come.
In this day and age you cant make it on single income.
You'll need multiple incomes,
(You & your spouse, full time and part time etc..)
Learning and adjusting to live & work spend smarter.

Be happy with what you have.

I remember my mom had two full time jobs to raise 4 kids.
She had to do what she had to do to make ends meet.
Target and McDonald used to pay her $4.25/hr for 8-10hrs/day.
I dont wanna keep going on about drama of life.

So Cheer up Bro! You're having a Baby!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
So Cheer up Bro! You're having a Baby!
Thanks! You're right, I need to focus more on the good stuff in life!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Well, that manager that quit and is now looking for work is a great example of why you don't want to burn bridges. If you want to pursue another opportunity, don't feel that you have to sacrifice for your employer (they are not going to sacrifice for you). However, don't burn your bridges. Worst case scenario, you might be out of work but they might need to fill a position.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 AM

Default Hi

Yeah i agree to your opinion that in this "crummy economy" one has struggle for a job. I have faced a lot of hard time in my life. But then i spend my time reading informative and knowledge base books. Try to keep myself busy. I've just turned 25 this month.

I guess thinking of your own business not a bad idea. Should go for it.....Good Luck for future.