ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Ill sign it too,but please there is nothing wrong with Toyotas,it was people
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 AM

If this as serious as it sounds, you can count me in too. My knowledge of Lancers is limited at this point.

I have been hearing quite a bit about timing chain issues though.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Just so you know. Mitsu is very aware of the timing chain issue. It was determined to be a specific manufacturing run of chains. It has since been rectified according to Mitsubishi. I know this doesn't help current owners that may OR may not have one of those chains. I say this more to address the nay sayers about buying owning current and future cars with this engine. This problem seems to arise between 60k-70k KM (not miles). If your over that, which I am, I wouldn't suspect you were one of the unlucky in having a defect chain. Non the less, doing a timing chain is not a bad thing from a maintenance point anyway so doing it early will give you peace of mind. As for the cost, chalk it up to owning a high powered 2.0L that's awesome is so many other ways. The tires you'll burn off this year cost more than the timing chain repair.

xross
Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Wink

truthe you speak,but doesnt excuse the fact that on a $27k car the chain in 2009 should last longer than a timing BELT in 1990.Im just saying,and agree about the fun factor and tires
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 AM

If Mitsu has acknowledged that this is a manu defect, then they should do a recall and fix for free, just sayin
Old 05-29-2011, 08:57 AM

So there were some bad chains.

What about the ECM? Wasn't it design to prevent damage from chain stretch?
So is it just bad chain or do they need better diagnostic software?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Chain stretches out of tolerance and sets a code(light also) at this point it may or may not be too late though. It is an interference head (valves will hit the pistons) if its stretched too much.
I suggest visiting your mitsu dealer and talk to the service manager to chase down the problem further though. They will have the most up to date info on these issues.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoss View Post
Just so you know. Mitsu is very aware of the timing chain issue. It was determined to be a specific manufacturing run of chains. It has since been rectified according to Mitsubishi. I know this doesn't help current owners that may OR may not have one of those chains. I say this more to address the nay sayers about buying owning current and future cars with this engine. This problem seems to arise between 60k-70k KM (not miles). If your over that, which I am, I wouldn't suspect you were one of the unlucky in having a defect chain. Non the less, doing a timing chain is not a bad thing from a maintenance point anyway so doing it early will give you peace of mind. As for the cost, chalk it up to owning a high powered 2.0L that's awesome is so many other ways. The tires you'll burn off this year cost more than the timing chain repair.

xross
So is it still an issue for newer RA's or just the 09? 10?

I only have about 110 miles on my WW, but want to be ahead of the game in terms of maintenance, based on the smiles per miles factor, I want to be driving this car for years and years...
Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM

bumping an old thread to add info i came across in regards to the chain

"After reading some more, it seems that they may have made this change to prevent the timing chain from contacting the oil jet. Apparently, after the timing chain has stretched just 1% (still otherwise absolutely serviceable, mind you) it starts to hit the timing chain oil jet and destroys the front of the engine (and potentially bends valves - can't remember if the 4B11T is an interference engine or not). I figure they went ahead and did away with the jet altogether to prevent this from happening "

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-e...ck-fail-2.html
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Those being wrongfully denied warranty work due to mods needs to look up (and throw around the fact that you know about it at the dealershit) the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.