ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Default RA/TC-SST Service Manual

Ralliart Technical Manual: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...0002100-00.pdf

Mitsubishi Engineering Product Overview: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...008/20e_06.pdf

TC-SST Service Manual: http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/EvoX/...005300-22C.pdf

TC-SST Overhaul Guide: http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/EvoX/...005700-22D.pdf

Assorted Evo X Manuals: http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/

I am trying as hard as I can to pull the patent number for the MR TCU. I am having a hard time tracking down the specific manufacturer of the part in question. I am fairly certain that it is made in-house. However, the only references that I could find to Mitsubishi patents in the past several years applied to the CVT INVECS-III system.

I have gone through all of JECS (UJ), just for good measure. I can't find anything, save for one patent in 2004 (estimated time frame for Ralliart TCU development). I am trying to confirm that it is the correct part, but I can't find it sold anywhere in the world. I will keep up the search. I must have an MR TCU!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Detailed overview of research to date:

Although Getrag is a very talented transmission manufacturer, you will find that they often don't make controllers for their own products. In many cases, JECS and others produce the actual TCU. I know that VW and Subaru both use JECS controllers for their products. Additionally, Mitsubishi has their own, in-house line-up of electrical controllers. You will find that almost every automatic transmission utilized by Mitsubishi vehicles has an "INVECS" controller, which is a Mitsubishi patented and proprietary system. The confusing bit is that Mitsubishi ended the INVECS program with the CVT transmission (dubbed the "INVECS-III"). You have to figure that the average R and D cycle for the production of a new model is about 3-5 years. That means that the transmission controller for the TC-SST might be as old as 2003 or 2004. During that time, it is clear that Mitsubishi, in at least one division, was working on the INVECS-III system. I found the patent filing yesterday. That means that it is possible that the construction of the TCU for the TC-SST was sub-contracted out to a firm with experience building high-quality controllers for already existing dual-clutch transmissions. For VW, who has been using the DSG gearbox for quite some time, JECS was that manufacturer. In 2004, about the time-frame for development of the TCU for the TC-SST, JECS applied for a series of patents (10 in this country alone) regarding a new, comprehensive transmission controller. After reviewing the patent, the stated parameters and goals of the project do fall in line with the specifications of the current RA and MR spec TC-SST transmission(s). If this were to be the case, that is great news for the Ralliart community. It is theoretically possible that JECS will have developed a part number for the completed MR TCU (hopefully, as the DSG controllers for VW and auto controllers for Subaru are available and listed as "new"). That is the hope, anyways. JECS has produced parts for Mitsubishi before, so this isn't unprecedented. However, this research that I have done is very incomplete. I am sure that there are some on this board who know vastly more about the nature of this beast than I do. That is merely speculation on the possible origins of our TCU. If anyone has information that furthers this knowledge-base, please let me know. This isn't about me being proved right or wrong. Again, that is merely speculation.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info/contribution. Your effort appreciated
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM

I just find it asinine that I can't buy a TCU, even though I am willing to pay for it and have no warranty claim left on MY car.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

This is awesome, thank you bro!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Anything for the cause.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Eric any updates on if a updated TCU was released by JECS?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rralliart09

Question. When you drain all three drain plugs does this also drain the center diff? Does the SST and center diff share fluid? I had my trans serviced a couple weeks ago and the dealer was unfamiliar with the procedure. I just want to make sure they didn't mess anything up. Also want to make sure all the fluids get changed. I still need to do the rear for sure but I'm wondering about the center diff since I cant seem to find a picture of the drain and fill plugs in the service manual. Thanks