ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Not Cool Man!
Not you too! As you can see I have removed the heat shield and hood insulation and still had hood hitting and pushing down and scratching the shit out of my freshly powder coated top pipe. New Big ass Turbo sits higher and I needed clearance and no funds for a custom hood. Also the extreme heat of new Big turbo and exhaust manifold started to melt the plastic covering on one of my electrical harnesses. I have since wrapped with black electric tape.

Raising the back of the hood was a cheap alternative that solved both the clearance and heat issue both. Especially when doing back to back runs at the drag strip this has been a Godsend.
I don't know how or why you would compare my car to a Bloody Honda of all things. Maybe it's a Honda thing where your from? I have no idea as I have never owned a Honda.
I was cruising Ebay one night and it hit me if I could simply raise the back end of the hood it would clear the pipe and allow a lot more heat to be pushed out of the engine bay.

Sorry you felt it necessary to belittle my very functional and practical low cost mod.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 AM

Not trying to hop on the band wagon here, but ZeRep85 is speaking the truth. I have never ever ever ever ever seen any car that had to raise the hood (or for that matter modify the engine bay layout at all) to account for any size turbo.

If it truly is off it would suggest something may be wrong on the install?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Why don't you guys actually try that Google thing. LOL! Just Kidding!
MHI TF06-18k Turbo is capable of 450+ AWD HP has a 3 inch intake not a small 2.5 inch like a smaller Evo X type turbo might have. LOL!
This combined my Ultimate Racing Pipes and my ETS IC have resulted in the pipe sitting approx. 1.25 higher than with previous stock turbo and oem Evo X IC.

The fact that you have only seen this mod on a Honda and never on Ralliart or Evo X is irrelevant. You don't see something until someone does it for the first time. They are called Trailblazers and Pioneers in their given field.

Now that you have seen it on my car, you may record the date and time if that helps you sleep better so carry on. Please be respectful and any other peanut gallery remarks or legitimate questions can be sent to me by PM, and I will answer any further questions you may have or reply as necessary.

All I can say is thank you for the constructive criticism as I do appreciate the feed back. Being an old guy and former muscle car guy there is still a lot of stuff I don't know about the tuner culture.

I was once told the difference between a Tuner and a Ricer was that a Tuner spends his money under the hood. The Ricer with tacky add on plastic pieces and decals and fake parts etc..
Putting so much money under my hood is what lead to this... I guess I will see if I can find thinner spacers.. I am open to suggestions as I have a few big car shows coming up next month.

Last edited by Jackal; 06-18-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM

it is not criticism, it is an inquiry.

Your are not a trailblazer using a 3" inlet, just a first to have to raise your hood so it would fit.

What brand is the inlet; ATP?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM

Using that darn googler really quick it seems most people with that turbo in use are leveraging the FP 3" inlet with no problems.

All connections butted correctly?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Admins can you please clean up my thread by eliminating all the non directly related posts. Thank you!

Last edited by Jackal; 01-01-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Can you kids please get the hell off my build thread and take this else where.
PM each other and hash it out. Agree to disagree etc..

Admins can you please clean up my thread by eliminating all the non directly related posts. Thank you!

Cleaned up for the most part.

For the record (my opinion)...

I have NEVER seen the hood elevated in the rear for any purpose. Not on a Mitsu. Not on a Honda. Not on anything but maybe a lawn tractor. Granted, I do not hang out with the crowd that I would be inundated or surrounded by such things.

And not taking sides, but please keep all future posts in this thread relevant to, and respectful of Jackal's build thread. I am assuming we are all grown here.

Jackal, you are doing something that WAAAAY too many people don't do. Turning wrenches and making things work. Keep up the good job. Great build thread, and the car looks great.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 PM

I have agreed with jackals post and even backed him up on his reasoning behind him elevating the back of the hood. That's a very old school trick to help escape engine bay heat. Again like I said befor jackal has been one of the most influential people on here with his build and function over form style. This build thread is one of the main reasons that I'm still gonna get a ralliart after I close on my house in August.

Any Idea on what hood you may go for when money becomes available? Or are you gonna try and add better venting to a stock hood.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Dyno numbers

Awesome numbers Jackal! I hope to get my Ralliart there one day. Is there anyway you can do like a go pro video next time you do a pull? I would love to see the acceleration with those kind of numbers.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillwill007 View Post
I have agreed with jackals post and even backed him up on his reasoning behind him elevating the back of the hood. That's a very old school trick to help escape engine bay heat. Again like I said befor jackal has been one of the most influential people on here with his build and function over form style. This build thread is one of the main reasons that I'm still gonna get a ralliart after I close on my house in August.

Any Idea on what hood you may go for when money becomes available? Or are you gonna try and add better venting to a stock hood.
Going to talk to a few other friends of mine and see if we can engineer something up. Worse case scenario I leave it as is for this summer. Give them something to talk about LOL!

Maybe buy some after market fenders that have some functional venting built into them. Thinking either Charge Speed or Varis pcs. Possible idea might be to get a couple of Drew's FQ400 style front air intake vent and do one on each side of the top front bumper cover.