ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Troubleshooting, DIY and Inst
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKitchen View Post
Does anyone else get a really loud inconsistent chattering/knocking sound while idling?
It sounds like its coming from the top right side of the engine.
I don't know that much about internals or anything but I know its not the injectors ticking.
This noise is almost embarrassing and doesn't sound healthy.
I could hear it LOUD and clear from my brothers garage when my car was across the street with the hood closed.

Any ideas?
Mine makes this exact inconsistent chattering/knocking sound but its only during a cold start up and its not as loud as you're describing. I hear mine mainly near the front drivers side wheel.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplukas101 View Post
All I can really hear in that video is the injectors. The traffic is too loud. On my car you would hear it before he even walked to the front of the car.

Its this noise but much louder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wis25p2YPXo

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKitchen View Post
All I can really hear in that video is the injectors. The traffic is too loud. On my car you would hear it before he even walked to the front of the car.

Its this noise but much louder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wis25p2YPXo
Mine makes that noise. Mostly after it's warmed up.
If I bump into you (not literally) we'll have to compare noises. I've wondered about that noise myself.

I tried listening all over my engine with a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint it but there are noises all over that carry through the engine and make it difficult to pinpoint. it's really loud in the area around the fuel rail which made me think it was just the injectors firing. If you take off the plastic cover over the valve cover it gets quieter (seems to me, anyway) like the noise is getting picked up and amplified by that huge plastic sounding board.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM

yup mine does that to
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcaliber View Post
Mine makes that noise. Mostly after it's warmed up.
If I bump into you (not literally) we'll have to compare noises. I've wondered about that noise myself.

I tried listening all over my engine with a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint it but there are noises all over that carry through the engine and make it difficult to pinpoint. it's really loud in the area around the fuel rail which made me think it was just the injectors firing. If you take off the plastic cover over the valve cover it gets quieter (seems to me, anyway) like the noise is getting picked up and amplified by that huge plastic sounding board.

Yeah mines the opposite. the more stuff I take off the louder it gets. I did get to pinpoint it to the top right of the engine. My friends makes the noise but no where near as loud as mine.

I did find this though.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-e...gine-tick.html

just because all of our cars do it doesn't mean its normal.

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM

If you think it is an injector making that noise, then unplugging the injectors one at a time will settle that.

If you think it is excessive valve clearance making the noise, then bust out a feeler gauge and check your clearances.

Mike W
Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM

my RA does the samething this weird clunk sound from the engine on the driver side.... only when it idles and cold starts after that is gone... weirdo
Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil03 View Post
my RA does the samething this weird clunk sound from the engine on the driver side.... only when it idles and cold starts after that is gone... weirdo
x2

Mines in the shop now, had the car just shy of 2 weeks and having a handful of issues including this one. Mechanics don't know what I'm talking about...

It does sound unhealthy though, I'm not a fan.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 PM

I made an appointment with HB Mitsubishi to have it looked at. If they say its normal at least I have it documented. It doesn't sound right.

2012 Evo X GSR-
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM

That's what I'm thinking too, at least have it recognized.

Buddy of mine suggested maybe I wasn't receiving enough octane, some bad gas maybe...

Though after reading this thread and the one on EvoM.net I have a pretty good feeling it is an unofficial manufacturers defect.