ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default How To: Install a BOV

Without starting a huge debate, I will say with all confidence that the best valve both for performance and the money for the RA is going to be an OEM unit off Evo IX MR or the new X series.

- They'll hold the boost you want to run
- They're very inexpensive compared to aftermarket
- They open and close with the same reaction speed as ...well an OEM valve.

The plastic valves are prone to failure as you start to turn up the boost or just over time. This can lead to performance issues associated with your typical boost leak.

Installation is a snap. There are two clamps that need to be undone. You can use either a phillips screw driver or a 10mm socket wrench. Loosen the clamps and slide them back over the two hoses so that they don't fall if/when you need to wrench the valve around to get it off.

Replace the valve in the same direction as the original. Should you install the valve backwards, you will hear an abnormal amount of compressor surge from the turbo. It will sound like a mini helicopter is making a landing on your turbo. If you forget which way the valve goes, just remember the brass hat needs to be facing your hood and not your radiator.

I used a BOV off my old Evo 8 MR. The nipple is facing a slightly different angle. And being the cheap SOB that I am, I did not want to invest 30 cents to buy a new vacuum hose. At any rate, because of this, the line came up slightly short. You need to make certain that you do not crimp the vacuum line. To avoid this, I pivoted the valve slightly to the left until the hose has a smooth, unobstructed connection.

Slide the hose clamps back on and snug everything down. You don't need to torque the be-jesus out of the clamps. Make sure they're tight, but don't tear the threads on the clamps by over torquing them.

This is a very simple mod that won't break your bank and will support higher performance tuning as you move onward and upward.

Happy Modding!

Last edited by Blaze; 11-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Beautiful write Blaze! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBeast View Post
Beautiful write Blaze! Thanks for sharing.

"Sharing is caring," but keep clear of my lunchables.... Them are mines!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks Blaze! Nice to see you here! What else do you have planned for your Ralliart?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Looks like an easy tweak.

Would this BOV fit on the 2009 RA?

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=172&page=1
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitchell View Post
Looks like an easy tweak.

Would this BOV fit on the 2009 RA?

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=172&page=1
Yeah That one will work "Plug n Play". Make sure you tighten all clamps so you dont have boost leaks.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Cool, thanks. When you say "plug n play".... if a BOV was not p'n'p, what would you have to do?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Some BOVs have different flanges that require custom welding. Others dont allow the air to be recirculated back in. If the air blows out the car runs poorly and stalls. Many aftermarket BOVs on the X and RalliArt will cause airflow fault codes. This direct bolt on of the EVO X BOV to the RalliArt so that makes it "PNP".

Still, there is nothing wrong with the stock RalliArt BOV. Yes it is made of plastic. But it has the same spring pressure as the EVO X BOV, same O-ring seal as the EVO X BOV, same diafram diameter as the EVO X BOV... changing it out will make no power. If anyone wants to try to proove otherwise, I have the free dyno time for you to try.

Many plastic BOVs do suck. The 2G Eclipse BOV would not hold over 13 psi for example. It had no o-ring seal and a weak spring. The Bosch plastic BOV that is used on many European cars also leaks. The RalliArt BOV is not one of these.

If anyone still has a hard on for a EVO X BOV, I do keep them in stock. $160.

Mike W

Last edited by MikeW-RRE; 05-10-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks MikeW RRE. I still rock the stock RA BOV but I had bought Evo IX JDM BOV for $100 used havent install anything yet waiting & saving up money to complete partlist for install & tune. If you was in the Bay area I would take you up on the offer to make sure what I bought doesnt leak & ok for the X Turbo swap.

I met Nardine with White EVO VIII that got his car done by RRE. I must say it looks Super Clean.

Last edited by MTZL; 12-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM

If you get an EVO X BV for a good price knowing you will be going berzerk with mods later on, no one can take that form you. You got your purpose and rock on with my full blessing!. I just dont want anyone with a stock turbo buyng a X BOV thinking they will be faster or sound cooler.

Mike W