ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Exclamation won't start in the cold.. relay, gst map, what else??

For a while I've had intermittent issues starting the car. It seemed to be independent of temperature, but more often in cold. I replaced the important relay with the blue one a few weeks ago. I thought my problems were solved, but since last week, I've had 3 or 4 times when the car wouldn't start without flooding and stumbling to a start.

I attached a picture of the relays. Does everything appear to be in the right spot? I've searched, and found conflicting info on what colors go where.

Any chance the gst v3.007 +pill basemap would be causing issues?

any other potential causes?

Thanks everyone

also, car is 2010 ralliart sportback, 63k+ miles. Only upgrades: ams pill, evo x BOV, K&N drop in, and I had the 60k maintenance done 1500 miles ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relays.jpg (74.6 KB, 28 views)

2010 rg sportback

Last edited by skills; 01-02-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Check the battery terminals than the battery itself then i would check the starter.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkupa View Post
Check the battery terminals than the battery itself then i would check the starter.
Thanks I'll check tomorrow. Also I think I replaced the wrong relay with the blue one. I'll swap the green and blue in A-28/27x positions. Directly left of the heat sink under the MFI is the starter, I thought it was where the blue one currently is. Oops. I'll also make sure the MFI isn't corroded. It is the updated grey one.

2010 rg sportback

Last edited by skills; 01-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM

I have experienced similar problems only about 3 times. If you figure it it let me know! Good luck on fixing it By the way mine is a 2012 having the problem, my dealership has no clue what could cause it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM

get rid of those green relays for the blue ones. also check X-28 Starter Relay for corrosion. Heck, check anything for corrosion. Also do you plug your car in?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crak View Post
get rid of those green relays for the blue ones. also check X-28 Starter Relay for corrosion. Heck, check anything for corrosion. Also do you plug your car in?
Ok, the car started right up this morning, and it's 25f out.

I then checked all relays for corrosion and they all look fine. Also, I'm pretty sure all of the relays are the updated ones. When I swapped out the original black one, I took it apart and it looked great inside. No corrosion, contacts looked fine, etc. Looks nothing like this:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-e...open-pics.html and I don't mean just the corrosion, I mean the relay looked slightly different. Not round wound, it is kind of rectangular and looks much more solid.

So I'm assuming the green one looks even better. Just for kicks I swapped the starter and fuel relay. Now the starter has the new blue one, and fuel has the green one. I'll see if this changes anything. If it does I'll get all new italian black relays. Is it correct that these are the newest and better than blue?

Also, what do you mean, do I plug my car in?

Thanks

2010 rg sportback
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkupa View Post
Battery terminals and electrolyte levels are fine. Haven't checked the starter yet

2010 rg sportback
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM

I should have been a bit more specific. The green relays are old and the blue relays are the updates one. There is a service bulletin to replace a majority of them here: http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytu...002_relays.pdf

looks like they put the proper grey one in. Make sure to get all the greens switched to blue, hell, get them to change all of the relays to brand new ones under warrenty so you dont have to worry about this again for awhile.

by plug in i mean, so the block heater keeps the engine oil warm on start up....then again you might not have one. They are available for 30$ from your dealership. Easy to install yourself dont let them charge you 100$ to install it, just buy one and do it yourself. All Canadians have them. I can go into a tangent on why even for warmer climates use block heaters. They are useful because it prevents 90% of engine wear by keeping the oil in prime operating conditions. 90% of engine wear occurs at start up because oil is not at its proper viscosity to fully heated.

Last edited by crak; 01-03-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I am lucky, my stock relay is still good. Wutangmo15 had to change his out a few months ago.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 AM

apparently the lastest relay is back to black
i replaced all mine with SSP's http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...relay-package/
read http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58941

-GST basemap
-AMS boostpill
-Works Highflow Drop in air filter
-EVO X BPV
-UR UICP

Last edited by tencents; 01-04-2013 at 02:38 AM.